by Stephanie Brun de Pontet &
John L. Ward
We continue to share the results of a survey of 100 significant family firms in Brazil which were part of a program hosted by HSM, a program we were very privileged to lead.
Shirt Sleeves to Shirt Sleeves…
What do they think are the greatest challenge to family business continuity?
- Senior generation “Letting Go” (29%)
- “Sibling Rivalry” (17%)
- Business challenges (16%)
- Cousin differences and indifference (16%)
- Nepotism (12%)
- Attracting non-family talent (8%)
The most common education initiatives at their family meetings were:
- Family history and values (38%)
- Understanding the business and industry (31%)
- Improving family interpersonal skills (24%)
- Financial literacy (7%)
Most surprisingly, 49% had more than one family meeting per year!
We asked what was their most perplexing paradox as a family business:
- Change and tradition (27%)
- Selective and inclusive (25%)
- Fair and equal (18%)
- Freedom and loyalty (16%)
With special thanks to HSM, Brazil for encouraging the survey and for their dedication to family business education.