by Stephanie Brun de Pontet &
John L. Ward
We surveyed 100 large, sophisticated family firms in Brazil, at a recent workshop we led for HSM. Following is their board experience.
What Type of Board?
- 40% have a family dominated board.
- 24% have an independent led board.
- 20% have a management dominated board.
- 16% have an advisory board.
Rating the Independent Director
- 63% said their independent/outside directors are “very valuable.”
- 30% said they were “satisfactory.”
- 6% said they were “window dressing.”
- 1% said they were “not helpful.”
Next Generation Participation?
- 10% are invited to join at 21-25 years of age.
- 25% are invited to join at 26-30 years of age.
- 25% are invited to join at 31-35 years of age.
- 40% are invited to join at 35 or older.
- 31% invite next generation “observers.”
- 69% do not.
- 30% based on shareholding.
- 38% based on family representation.
- 32% based on merit qualifications.
With special thanks to HSM of Brazil for their dedication to family business education.